One of the most frequent questions we get asked is ‘What sort of documentation do I need for my pet?’  Please read on!  Further details can also be found on our Blog.


From 1st January 2021, the UK will be categorised as a Part 2 listed third country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme. This means if your pet(s) have an EU Pet Passport, issued in Great Britain, this will no longer be valid for travel to the EU and you will be required to obtain an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) to travel from the UK to the EU.

If you currently live in Europe and your pet has an EU Pet Passport issued in Great Britain prior to 1 January 2021, they may travel to the UK on their British EU Pet Passport.  They cannot travel back to Europe on that passport.

If your pet(s) have an EU Pet Passport, issued in any European country other than Great Britain, they will be accepted for entry into the UK and France under the EU Pet Passport Scheme.  As an example, my dog lives with me in the UK.  She has an EU Pet Passport issued in Spain.  As a result, she does not require an Animal Health Certificate when travelling from the UK to France or vice versa.  She travels on her EU Pet Passport issued in Spain.

For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU Pet Passport which allows your pet to travel in both directions without the need for an Animal Health Certificate.

If you are preparing your animal in a non EU Listed or Unlisted Third Country or Territory, you will need to obtain an Official Third Country Veterinary Health Certificate (AHC).



In order to identify your pet (dog or cat) it must be fitted with a microchip, before or same day as the initial rabies vaccination is carried out.

The microchip number of the animal must be identical to the microchip number on the pet’s documentation.

A tattoo from any country in the world is acceptable providing it has been done at the latest on the 3 July 2011.


Rabies vaccination

Your pet (who must be at least 12 weeks old at time of vaccination) must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement.

The vaccine name and manufacturer, as well as vaccination valid from and expiry dates must be recorded in the pet’s document by a registered vet (signature and stamp are mandatory).

There is no exemption to this requirement. If you are travelling from EU and listed non-EU countries, the length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the vaccination date (the vaccination date counts as day 0). A waiting period  is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date and recorded in your pet’s official documentation. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination.

Travel to the UK must take place within the current vaccination validity.


Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)

Your dog must be treated against tapeworm before travelling to the UK.

Treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours (1 day) and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before the dog’s scheduled arrival time in the UK. Treatment date and time must be recorded by the vet in the pet’s documentation.

Please note if the tapeworm treatment is not administered in time or correctly documented by a vet, it will result in your pet being refused travel.

Tapeworm treatment must:

  • Be administrated by a vet
  • Must contain Praziquantel to be effective against Echinococcus tapeworm

The following products : Stronghold, Advocate, Frontline or Frontline Combo, Nexgard or Nexgard Spectra will not be accepted and will result in the animal being refused travel.


Blood test

Blood tests are no longer required if you are entering the UK from EU and listed non-EU countries .

If entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries a blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination and the length of the waiting period before allowing a dog, cat, ferret to travel is three calendar months from the date your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result from an approved laboratory.

For more information: